5.11.2008

Building a House

No, not that kind of house! I *finally* finished my 9" house block for Miss April in our birthday block swap at quilting.about.com. I was cranky as heck Friday night when I couldn't find any pink thread -- not that pink is my color, mind you; I was just sure I had some. That meant an expedition was in order for Saturday... so far, I've yet to locate an LQS (or even a chain store like JoAnn) within a reasonable distance from my apartment. I let my fingers do the walking through the online yellow pages, though, and found a place with a cute name... and only (hah) 12 miles away. I've Got a Notion is a great name for a fabric and sewing machine store, but the place is a weird mish-mosh of lower-grade quilting fabrics, home dec fabrics and trims, and the world's smallest selection of yarn I've ever seen advertised! All told, it was an 80-minute round trip and I spent $1.75 on a spool of pink thread.

Oh -- here's the block, prior to stitching:

The sky fabric is wrong side up -- it was too intense the other way, and is printed well enough to show through perfectly. I actually cut and sewed a nice curve between the sky and grass, forgetting the house would cover it. I'm so happy this is done!

No comments: