7.02.2008

Ouch!

I've got a trigger finger -- basically, a finger that's stuck in one position. The image shows the traditional bent "stuck point," but mine is stuck in the straight position. It's my left hand, middle finger. While one occasionally has a need for a stiff middle finger, it's not really useful as a permanent or persistent feature.

Basically, the tendon (and maybe its sheath) is inflamed or swollen, causing a nodule. The tendon can't slide through the sheath due to the swelling, so it sticks or catches. I can feel the nodule at the base of the finger on the palm side; it hurts, but not like the finger hurts. H.O.L.Y. cow.

I had this happen once a few years ago, but with my left thumb. I was sure it was broken, although I couldn't figure out how it happened, and it wasn't swollen. The ER doc was very nice, and didn't laugh at me ;-) That one went away within a few days.

This one seems worse. Or maybe my tolerance is just lower. Either way, it needs to just go away quickly -- I don't like the treatment options at all! (Cortisone, and if that doesn't work, surgery to open the sheath to make room for the inflamed tendon to slide.) I guess it's get through the weekend, and reevaluate.

I guess the upside is that my finger is stuck in the stretched position (straight out), rather than in the trigger or bent position. I can at least do a few things... like flip people off ;)

I'd ask you to cross your fingers that it gets better quickly, but that's too much even for me!


Image from webmd.com.

3 comments:

Vicki W said...

Ouch indeed! I hope it gets better on its own.

Dorothy said...

If it doesn't clear up soon, I guess you could consider moving to Massachusetts. ;o)

Paula, the quilter said...

This is why I had surgery in my left thumb. I can still feel the nodule, but it doesn't hurt anymore. Don't fear the surgery. Just find a good hand/wrist doc. It is outpatient surgery.