12.11.2008

Deck the Halls meme

Christine did this, so of course I had to, too!

Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?
Hot chocolate.

Does Santa wrap presents or set them under the tree? Santa's are unwrapped, of course.

Colored lights on tree or white? We had colored when I was a kid, but my mom prefers white now. So do I :)

When do you put your decorations up? Um, am I supposed to do that?!

What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? We don't really have any major Christmas food traditions... breakfast used to always include those Pillsbury cinnamon rolls that come in a can -- yum!

Favorite Holiday memory as a child: I don't know about "favorite" -- a lot of them blend together! I do remember one year, I must have been about 8, my mom had bought me a "Ginny" doll, with clothes, and a storage wardrobe... she numbered the packages so I would be sure to open the doll before the accessories!

When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? The only thing I know about Santa is that he's awesome. I have no idea what other "truth" anyone might be asking about.

Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Nope. We celebrate with my mom's family on Christmas Eve, so there were presents from extended family when we were younger.

How do you decorate your Christmas tree? Well, the last time I tried, it fell down. (The integrated plastic stand was a dud.) Luckily I hadn't decorated it yet! Anyway: my mom always gives my sister and I a new ornament every year, reflecting a special event or trip, special interest, whatever. When we each moved out, our ornament boxes moved with us. I have a great -- and eclectic -- collection of things I love to see on my tree.

Snow! Love it or Dread it? The only good thing about it is that it reflects sun, so it can help brighten a dreary winter.

Can you ice skate? Sure! It's been a long time, though.

Do you remember your favorite gift? Wow... that one's tough. I remember lots of great gifts, but it's hard to pick just one.

What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you? Spending time with family and friends.

What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? I have a couple of good cookies -- a shortbread that you twist and shape into candy canes, peanut butter kisses, and buckeyes, for example... (yum!)

What is your favorite tradition? Hmm... now that I live far away from my family, I don't get to do this very much, but I used to wrap almost every single gift we gave. My mom would box up gifts for my sister and I into plain boxes, and just tell me to wrap them -- she wouldn't even tell me who they were for! (Mostly, she remembered who got what by the shape of the box... except when she forgot.) I used to love having my own little wrapping station set up, choosing the perfect paper, tying a beautiful bow... now, it's more of a chore, unfortunately!

Which do you prefer, Giving or Receiving? I refuse to answer this question on the grounds that it may incriminate me!

What is your favorite Christmas Song? Adeste Fidelis, sung in the original language; Un flambeau, Jeanette Isabella (that one's stuck in my head lately, although I can only remember the first line); and pretty much most of the rest of them. For Advent: O Come, O Come Emmanuel.

Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum? Mostly yuk. Although Hershey's Candy Cane Kisses are a total YUM!

Ever recycled a Christmas present? I remember re-gifting something, but I can't remember if it was originally a Christmas or a birthday gift. I've also recycled gifts to Goodwill from time to time. But if you're reading this, I promise none of these were things you gave me. Honest. No, really.

Go forth and meme :)

1 comment:

black bear cabin said...

thank you for sharing your holiday with me :) it was an entertaining read...in fact, ive decided to do it on my blog too!
as for your wrapping station...my mom did the same thing...she would tape the boxes shut, write a name on it and slide it over to me to wrap. She kept coming out of her bedroom with more and more boxes. Then she would recycle the boxes every year, so there would be a name crossed out with a new name written below. Over the years, we would laugh at how many names were on a box...in fact i have one saved that was used about 6 times :) hmmmm...maybe i should add that memory to my blog :)
cheers~