12.17.2007

December Birthday Block

9" Star Block for Diane

Here's my block for Miss December, aka Diane, in the quilting.about.com year-long birthday block swap. She asked for 6", 9" or 12" stars in purple and cream batik.

I had drafted a ton of blocks into EQ about a year ago, including about a hundred Judy Martin originals from an old book I picked up at a guild show. This one captured my fancy this morning... I wanted to make a 6" or 9" block that only needed one or two purple batiks... I decided 9" was the best size, and off I went, without looking at how this block would have to be sewn. A friendship star on top of an Ohio star -- piece of cake, right?

Not! Templates, partial seams, inset seams... ugh, ugh, ugh. Luckily, I only had to rip one seam where I sewed two pieces together on the wrong edge, and unpick a few stitches from seam allowances where I hadn't realized I was going to have to inset another patch.

It's not perfect, but it's done and it's acceptable. It's also already in an addressed envelope so it can be mailed to the birthday girl!

1 comment:

Kate North said...

it's gorgeous, Amy. I think it was worth all those inset seams (i took one look at it on your blog and thought, better you than me!)