1.11.2009

Let it snow...

I knew it was a bad sign when I got called into an emergency meeting yesterday about snow plans for the weekend -- and they were predicting 3-6" over 12 hours. Um, that's just your everyday, average kind of January weather where I come from -- 3" of snow does NOT a storm, blizzard, panic or emergency make!

It did start to snow around 1p today as predicted, and I had to clean off my car before I could leave for work. I'd guess about 2" by that time, which was a little after 5p. Of the three highway lanes, the left and right were almost snow-free, just wet, but the middle one was pretty snowy still. People were going about 40 mph. Yes, it was snowing, but the road was completely fine. I finally worked my way around the worst of the idiots, including the guy driving with his brights and hazards on ('cause that's not distracting or anything!), and managed to go about 60 most of the way. It took about 15 extra minutes to get there, which was fine -- I left earlier than usual since I had no idea how the travel would be.

But it gets better. On my way home, when it was not snowing, I was on a highway entrance ramp behind a small SUV, and the driver wouldn't go more than 20 on the *straight* road. I guess I should have expected him to STOP when he got to the three-lane highway. Not. Who stops to get on the highway at 10:00 at night? Are you kidding me? Especially since there wasn't a car in sight going our way, and all lanes were completely clear. SO glad I managed not to hit the dumb-***.

I saw two trucks spreading whatever, and one snowplow during the entire time... interestingly, the plow was down on a road with no snow. Um, it's a better use of time and resources to plow roads that have snow, isn't it? Or not -- it's Jersey, after all ;)

3 comments:

dot said...

I am happy to read there are snow idiots everywhere. I thought they were only here in the northwest.

Dorothy said...

A-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha! I was just talking to a friend who lives on the west coast and said we got about 6 or 7 inches of snow overnight. "What will you do?!" Uh, plow it? Already did, actually.

Anonymous said...

lol! Sounds like great travel. I drove home from the D in it last night. Must say, we wear going much faster :-)